Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Values & Goals for the Holiday Season

As I think about this holiday season ahead, I am forced to think about what I really want out of this season. What do I want for myself and my family? Here are a few things that have come to mind.
  1. I want to be more appreciative of what I have and instill that into our children. It is so hard to get caught up in the world around you and you find yourself looking at what you don't have, instead of all that really do have. I have come across a quote I found that I tore out of a magazine that I am going to find a permanent place for in my home.."Be thankful for what you have: You'll end up having more." --Oprah Winfrey
  2. To play more with our kids and experience this joyful and merry time of year together. For me it is so slow down, not worry about the laundry or the messy house, just spend some time with the boys each day doing something together, like baking cookies, writing a letter to Santa, doing a craft or even coloring with them instead of letting them color while I am doing other household things.
  3. To spend time together just Jim, I and the boys and give them the memories that they will remember for many years to come. Like putting up the Christmas tree together or reading Christmas stories. Those things we have done with them already this year but hope that we continue to do it year after year and that it becomes something they always remember us doing together. And we hope to come up with a few other traditions as well.
  4. To concentrate more on being joyful and appreciate the warmth of family and friends during the holidays. And pass on to our boys that family & friends are to be valued and to nurture those relationships.
  5. To instill in our boys the reason for the Christmas season, Christ. And that it just isn't about Santa. And to pass on to them the importance of giving to others less fortunate not only during this time of year but all the time.
  6. For our boys to enjoy the laughter, wonder, magic, spirit and sharing of the holidays. Ok so we are still working on the sharing part but hopefully they will come around soon! :)
  7. I hope to enjoy some quiet time with Jim this season and also enjoy those sweet treats that only come around this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment