Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strawberry Pie


Strawberry season is upon us, the urge to find a strawberry patch is tempting and while I would love to go an pick my own I decided that Saturday I was going to venture out to our local farmer's market to purchase some for myself  my family.

First stop, the farmer's market. NO STRAWBERRIES! I walked through that  market like a woman on a mission with no success. Discouraged that I may not be making the strawberry pie I had been craving, I decided to try across town where I had seen a local farmer set up his own personal strawberry stand. But first I had to stop at a store for a quick run in to pick up an item that I had forgotten earlier in the week and as I pulled into store, I took a quick glance and did not see that man at his strawberry stand. Disappointed and aggravated that it is strawberry season and I wanted fresh strawberries not the ones in the plastic containers at the supermarket. Not there is anything wrong with them but I just wanted fresh, picked today strawberries, full of flavor and yummy goodness!

I got what I needed in the store then as I was leaving the parking lot, there he was, putting is buckets full of strawberries out to sell. YES!!!!! I whipped my car in and purchased one bucket full of strawberries!

Home I went, smelling those sweet strawberries, sunroof open, windows and rocking out to LMFAO in the new minivan. Oh yeah, moms are cool even in minivans. You know, within the last week, I have been passed by more people since driving this minivan than I EVER have. And I will be honest, I am a speeder   good driver and obey all limits within a range if you will. Just because I drive a minivan does not mean that I drive slow! Anyway, where was I?



So I got home and washed all the berries and waited for them to dry a little then I made 2 pies, one for us and one to share. The second one went to my mother-in-law for Mother's Day.



This recipe is from an old country church cookbook and it makes 1 pie, I doubled the recipe and made 2 pies.

I purchased a packaged pie crust to save time but I am sure that this pie would be absolutely yummy with a homemade crust. The recipe calls for a deep dish pie shell, but the only ones I had on hand were the regular pie crust and it worked just fine. Just be careful not to overfill the pie with the jello mixture. Oh and I added as many strawberries as I wanted which I am sure was more than 1 qt. like the recipe called for.

Ready for the recipe?



Strawberry Pie:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 qt. fresh strawberries
1 T. cornstarch
1 (3 oz.) package of strawberry jello
1 deep dish pie shell, cooked
Container of Cool Whip

Boil sugar, cornstarch and water till thick and clear. Add jello and stir well. Set aside. Place strawberries in cooked pie shell then pour the jello mixture over the strawberries. Place in the refrigerator to cool and set up. When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and top with Cool Whip. Serve.

Yummy!

Linking up with Taste of Tuesday.





4 comments:

  1. This is the perfect summer dessert! And this post just made me want to go find a farmer's market this weekend to pick up some fresh strawberries! So glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Something tells me that I will be making another myself! It is a great dessert!

      Delete
  2. Please have one of these next time I'm in town! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Come on down! I'll have one waiting on ya!

      Delete