Monday, September 24, 2012

Lego Manual Notebook

I don't know about you guys, but around here, Lego is big! Lego's everywhere and it seems that every time I vacuum I pick up lots of little Lego's before the vacuum sucks them away or the vacuum does actually suck them away and then the fun begins, picking through the dust and crap the vacuum sucked up looking for those little Lego's.


If Lego's are laying around, then the manuals are as well. After all, if you aren't building with your imagination (which happens alot, kids come up with some awesome buildings and vehicles!) then the manuals are out being used. The manuals are tough to keep neat if you ask me, I have tried putting them in tubs with the Lego's that go with the manual and somehow they never seem to make it back into the correct tub and the pages begin to wrinkle and if you want to be able to build it correctly you more than likely need the manual (at least for the more complex sets). Which got me thinking that I needed to come up with a way to make organizing these manuals an easy and simple process.


My solution:

 
 
A 3-Ring Binder (with the clear plastic pocket on the front/back & side), Lego Logos (from a Lego box) and some cute American Crafts paper. I cut the paper to fit in the front of the binder and a small slender piece for the spine of the notebook. I glued the Lego logo to the middle of both papers.
 



I slid both papers into the notebook, added some plastic page protectors and inserted all the manuals into the page protectors. (I made sure to put sets together  and inserted at least 2 manuals into each protector, one for the front and one for the back of the protector)

 

For this notebook, I used 25 page protectors and all but 4 are filled and I believe I will have to upgrade to a larger ring binder....
 
 
I have to say that it has worked out well, so far. If it continues to work well and the boys keep the manuals in the binder then, I may organize it more by adding sections and labels to be more specific and make it easier to find a particular manual, for example: a section for trucks, police, homes, fire, etc. and alphabetize them. 
 
 
 
Also, I am considering a new method for the Lego's as well, should I keep all sets separate or separate the Lego's out by color and have a bin for each color? Do you guys have a method for sorting/storing Lego's?
 
 
 


8 comments:

  1. We have just entered the ear of lego in our house and storage is a constant nightmare. Currently we're trying to keep sets together in small plastic boxes. I have the intention to make a binder too for the instructions - yours is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it can be a challenge to find the best way to store legos. We started out keeping sets in small plastic boxes too. The binder has really worked out great for us! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea. We have a ton of legos and I am trying to find a way to store them and their manuals. This is awesome...I have also thought of laminating the books cause they tend to get torn apart sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, laminating the books! We already have a few that are torn and I have been using tape to put them back together! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love this! My daughter is JUST starting to get into LEGOs, just the ones for toddlers, and I can already see how quickly the sets are going to accumulate! I'm going to have to keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read your blog alot and am so excited you stopped by! You are right, the Legos accumulate fast! I knew I had to make something fast to keep all those manuals together before they got lost or torn! Thank you again for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete