Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY Christmas Star & Wall Art

For my Christmas Mantle, I wanted to add a little something crafty...

You can see my Christmas Mantle here.

I began by cutting pieces of quarter round floor molding into equal sizes. Then I used my hot glue gun to glue the pieces together and let it dry overnight. I cut strips of burlap and then used my hot glue gun to glue the burlap onto the wood. I wrapped the burlap around the wood and glued it into place.

One little tip of advice....be careful not to burn yourself, that is all I have to say about that!

I wanted the star to hang, so I used fishing line. Using a small piece of fishing line, I looped it around the point at the top of the star and tied in a knot then in another knot to make sure it was secure. Then, I looked for a rock that stuck out a little for me to "hook" my fishing line onto. (This is the reason the star is off center and the reason I had to make the art below for balance). In my head it looked a little different from what I had thought to begin with but I just went with the flow, I mean lets be real, there is no way I am putting a nail in that rock!


For the word art, I had a canvas that I had not used for anything yet and it worked perfect. I believe the size was 16x19. First, I had to prime the canvas because for some crazy reason I had painted it blue...then let it dry overnight. I printed the words out with my printer, cut them out and then glued the letters onto the canvas.
I took a step back and thought to myself  that it could use a little sparkle. So I added glitter to the word JOY.  Took another step back and thought it needed a little more sparkle. I had some red glitter spray paint left over from a while back and thought I would just spray the entire canvas. It looked great until the can ran out and only blew out air....see the top right corner.......but that is our little secret..ok? Then I did a layer of glitter spray paint sealer over the canvas to seal the deal ;)

Hope your weekend was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment