Friday, June 15, 2012

Cupcakes Made With Beets!

Gorgeous Beets from our garden. Last year they did not do so well, I am talking one beet. So this year to say that I was impressed was an understatement!

Wondering what to do with these? Well, why not make cupcakes! Yep, you heard, ok read it right, CUPCAKES!

 First a little bit of the roasted beets in the food processor with a little olive oil and this is what you get. Then follow the recipe!

I saw this recipe on TV a while back and thought to myself if I ever get beets out of my garden, this will be one recipe that I must try, just to see what it would taste like!

Here is the recipe (Red Velvet Cupcakes)

The idea is to use the beets instead of artificial food coloring to make the cupcakes red.

I followed the recipe but I added unsweetened dark cocoa instead of  regular unsweetened cocoa. So it made my cupcakes look like chocolate cupcakes instead of red velvet cupcakes. And when I was ready to pour the batter into the muffin cups, it actually made 24 instead of 12 cupcakes. And no, we did not eat them all, all because I put over half of them in the extra refrigerator and forgot about them!

I know, not a good photo but at least you can see that the cupcake is in fact chocolate!  I did follow the icing recipe exactly and the combination was good. The cake was good and I could tell that there was a little something added in, but my boys.....LOVED IT!!  They were a hit in our house! But my boys love beets (they knew that beets were used to make the cupcakes). Anyway, give it a shot, at least it is one way to get kids to eat their veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment