Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Almond Shortbread


I am a HUGE fan of sweets, chocolate, cookies, cake, anything with sugar actually. However I was doing well keeping my sugar intake in moderation till I made these! 

I first made this recipe for dessert at Easter and it was great then so I decided to make it again but this time I added a little chocolate on top. Everything is better with chocolate on top right?



Well anyway, I saw an episode of Trisha Yearwoods' new show on the Food Network. You can find the original recipe here.

Her recipe is cooked in a skillet, however I do not own a cast iron skillet, so I just line my casserole dish with foil or parchment paper and still cook as directed.



But here is the recipe anyway and you can revert back to  Trisha's Recipe  if you need to:

Almond Shortbread

1 & 1/2 cups plus 2Tbsp of sugar
3/4 cup of melted butter
2 large eggs
1 & 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp of almond extract
1/2 cup of sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your dish with foil or parchment.

Mix in a large bowl, 1 & 1/2 cups of sugar, butter, adding eggs and beat well, mix in flour and salt and almond extract. Pour the batter into dish and sprinkle sliced almonds on top & 2 Tbsp of remaining sugar. Bake for 35 minutes until slightly brown on the top. Let cool then remove from dish by lifting the paper, then cut into wedges or bars. But if you add chocolate wait before cutting!

I added chocolate this time!!!


In a medium mixing bowl:

1/2 stick of butter, melted
1/3 heaping cup of cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. almond extract

Mix and drizzle over almond shortbread. (you may need to add more milk to make it thinner, but if you do only add a small amount at a time till desired consistency)



YUMMY!!

Linking up to Taste of Tuesday! at Let's Get Bananas and Blissfully Miller!



No comments:

Post a Comment